- In the tradition of Celestron's famous orange optical tubes, the Celestron NexStar 4 SE Telescope combines the classic heritage of the original orange tube telescopes with state-of-the-art features, including a fully computerized operating system, flash-up-gradable hand control, superior coatings, and much more. Requires 8 AA batteries (user-supplied). With the NexStar 4 SE, you are in the driver's seat. Simply choose an object from the menu and the telescope will find it for you. Using Celestron's patented NexStar technology, the SE scopes have the ability to locate nearly 40,000 objects. All you have to do is look through the eyepiece and enjoy the view!
Explore The Cosmos
- Not only can your Celestron NexStar SE Telescope find objects, it can teach you about them as well. Information on the most popular objects can be viewed in the LCD screen of your hand control. Whether you are a seasoned astronomer looking for a portable telescope with advanced features, or just starting your astronomy adventure and looking for an easy way to enjoy the night sky, a Celestron NexStar SE Telescope will help you take a closer look. Don't know what object to choose? Let the intelligent Celestron NexStar 4 SE Telescope give you a guided tour of the night sky! The "Tour" feature offers a customized list of the best objects in the sky to view for your exact time and location anywhere in the world!
- Computerized hand control with nearly 40,000-object database and motorized altazimuth mount
- Quick-release optical tube for easy no-tool setup
- StarBright XLT enhances coatings for maximum light transmission and clarity
- Flash-upgradable hand control; update your telescope's software via the Internet
- Internal battery compartment to prevent cord wrap during use
- Includes NexRemote telescope control software, for control of your telescope via computer
- "THE SKY" Planetarium software - with 10,000-object database and printable sky maps
- Custom database lists of all the most famous deep-sky objects by name and catalog number
- Quick release fork arm mount, optical tube and accessory tray for no-tool setup
- Sturdy steel tripod features built-in wedge which allows 4 SE to be used for astrophotography
- Includes a camera control feature and shutter release cable that allows you to remotely take a series of exposures using your SLR camera
View The Universe's Most Impressive Celestial Objects
- The 4SE’s four-inch primary mirror packs enough light-gathering ability to observe the best that the solar system has to offer: Saturn’s rings, the cloud bands on Jupiter, and geographic features on the surface of the Moon. When it comes to deep sky objects, take your 4SE to a dark-sky site and you’ll see hundreds of pinpoint stars in the Hercules Globular Cluster, the spiral arms of the Whirlpool Galaxy, and more.
Revolutionary Single Fork Arm Mount
- We know the best telescope is the one you will use most often. That’s why Celestron’s engineers created NexStar SE’s unique, patented single fork arm mount. It’s perfectly portable and makes setup quick and easy. What’s more, the NexStar SE breaks down into several lightweight and compact pieces, making it easy to transport, even in small vehicles. You’ll have no problem getting the NexStar SE to your favorite observing site, or setting it up quickly in your backyard. Of course, it’s what’s inside the mount that really counts. Sturdy construction from high-quality components give NexStar SE the pointing and tracking accuracy needed to observe and follow your favorite targets with push-button ease. Use the included NexStar+ hand control to locate over 40,000 celestial objects, or take a Sky Tour and let your telescope show you the best objects currently visible. Aligning your telescope is simple and painless, too, thanks to SkyAlign. This process makes alignment as easy as 1-2-3: just center three bright objects in your eyepiece and press ALIGN. For even easier alignment, attach our StarSense AutoAlign and your NexStar SE aligns itself!
Let The NexStar SE Grow With You
- The NexStar SE is compatible with all the high-tech accessories advanced users love. Provide GPS coordinates to your telescope with SkySync, or add automatic alignment functionality with StarSense AutoAlign. Its built-in wedge allows you to track long exposures. if you’re interested in imaging the Moon and planets, pair your NexStar 4SE with one of our Skyris cameras. From your first observing session and for years to come, the NexStar SE is your trusted companion.
Celestron 2 Year Warranty
- Celestron warrants your product to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for two years. Celestron will repair or replace such product or part thereof which, upon inspection by Celestron, is found to be defective in materials or workmanship. As a condition to the obligation of Celestron to repair or replace such product, the product must be returned to Celestron together with proof-of-purchase satisfactory to Celestron.
- In the late 1950s, Tom Johnson, founder of Valor Electronics, built a telescope from scratch to introduce his sons to the wonders of stargazing. What began as a hobby soon grew to be Johnson’s driving passion, and in 1960, he formed an Astro-Optical Division within his company. That department eventually became Celestron. For more than 50 years, Celestron has continued to lead the market, creating dozens of revolutionary new products including telescopes, sport optics, and microscopes. With more than 80 employees around the world, Celestron remains guided by our founding principles as we commit to ever-increasing global growth. Today, we still produce our flagship product—the 14-inch Edge HD optical tube—at our headquarters in Torrance, California, using Tom Johnson’s signature method.
Celestron Nexstar 4 SE Telescope, Optical Tube Assembly, StarPointer Finderscope, Computerized Alt-Azimuth Mount w/Handset, Tripod, Accessory Tray, "The Sky" CD ROM Software, "NexRemote" Software, Serial Port Cable, E-Lux 25mm Eyepiece
Dimensions & Specifications
Focal Length of Eyepiece 1:
Magnification of Eyepiece 1:
Single Fork Arm Altazimuth
Steel with built-in wedge
Highest Useful Magnification:
Lowest Useful Magnification:
Limiting Stellar Magnitude:
1.37 arc seconds
1.14 arc seconds
Light Gathering Power:
Apparent Field of View:
Linear Field of View:
53 ft @ 1000 Yards
Secondary Mirror Obstruction:
9 Slew Speeds
Sidereal, Solar, and Lunar
Alt-Az, EQ, North & EQ South
SkyAlign, Auto 2 Star Align, 1-Star Align, 2-Star Align, SolarSystem Align
RS-232 Communication Port On Hand Controls, Aux Port, Camera Control Port
Computer Hand Control:
Double line, 16 Character Liquid Crystal Display with 19 Fiber Optic Backlit LED Buttons
38-181 Accessible Objects Optical Tube Length:
Celestron 2 Year
Download the Celestron NexStar 4SE Telescope User Manual
We stand behind all the products we sell, and your satisfaction is our top priority. If you're not satisfied with the quality of your purchase, simply send the item back to us in its original packaging within 30 days of its delivery.
Celestron has a limited lifetime binocular and spotting scope warranty and all other products have a 2 year manufacturer's warranty covers against defects is provided. If you have specific questions about this product's warranty please contact Celestron's Customer Service department at 310-328-9560.
Return & Exchange Policy
At our site, returns are easy! You may return new, unused, and resalable items for a refund or exchange. Simply ensure that the item is returned in its original product packaging within 30 days of delivery.
Q1: I live in the Philippines, does the Go-to accept long.-lat. for my location like the ones on Meade telescopes or does it only have city inputs?
A: The GoTo system that this telescope runs on is universal and will work with your location.
Q2: I'm interested in viewing (in good detail) the ISS but do not see any information on each scope saying it can be used in this way.
A: The ISS moves too fast to stay in focus using a telescope. The only way to view the ISS with detail would be to use some astronomical hand held binoculars.
Q3: I'm planning on getting this scope, could you give me a summary of what it can see object wise?
A: You should be able to see lunar features less than 2 miles across; dark surface features on Mars, detail in Jupiter's cloud belts and the cloud belts on Saturn, faint stars down to about magnitude 13, plus hundreds of star clusters, nebulae and galaxies, with hints of spiral structure in some galaxies. You'll also be able to see all the Messier objects, plus many NGC and IC objects under dark skies.
Q4: Is this scope good for terrestrial viewing?
A: The Celestron NexStar 4 SE is good for land and sky viewing.
Q5: Is your free shipping offer valid for shipping to Canada?
A: Unfortunately, free shipping is available only within the continental U.S.
Q6: Will I be able to move the scope manually if the batteries die, or will this cause damage to the motor?
A: The Celestron NexStar 4 SE Telescope must have batteries to operate. Moving the scope manually will harm the motor.
Q7: Will I be able to see details on planets like Pluto/Neptune using this telescope?
A: No the NexStar 4SE is not capable of viewing Pluto or Neptune. You need a telescope at least 6" in diameter to view Neptune. Pluto is always unviewable because it is so small and dark that even the Hubble cannot clearly view it.
Q8: Will I be able to see nebula and galaxies with this telescope?
A: The Celestron NexStar 4 SE Telescope is very capable of seeing planets, star clusters, galaxies as well as nebulae.